Monday, July 19, 2004

Please be advised...I'm about to bloody your nose!


"Please be advised that this information is important to us in order to serve you better."

"Please be advised that the fire alarm will be tested next Wednesday between the hours of 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon."

"Please be advised that the community centre will be closed for renovations."

I want people to stop telling me to "be advised." I can't just "be advised!" Someone has to advise me. And if that's what you're doing then just do it, don't go making announcements about it.

Absolutely no meaning is imparted by the phrase "please be advised" except to turn a communication of information into something vaguely like a demand. If you tell me "This information is important to us in order to serve you better" then I have been advised! There you go! You've done it!

And while you're at it, maybe you could stop telling me to "please be assured." If you want me to be assured, tell me something assuring.

Cranky. I'm just cranky.